What is glabridin?
Glabridin, also known as Glycyrrhizic Flavone, is an kind of isoflavone. It is extracted from the dried rhizome of Glycyrrhiza glabra L. Glabridin is one of the main flavonoids in Glycyrrhiza glabra (accounting for 11%). Numerous studies have shown that Glabridin can effectively inhibit the activity of various enzymes during melanin production, especially inhibiting tyrosinase activity. Moreover, it has other skin-care effect such as anti-inflammation, anti-oxidation and sun-protection. It is a safe, mild and effective whitening active ingredient. Only 100g Glabridin can be extracted from 1000kg Glycyrrhiza glabra. Because of its complicated extraction process, high cost and price, it is comparable to gold price. Therefore, it is known as " Whitening Gold" in the world cosmetics industry. Glabridin has attracted much attention and is widely used in skin beauty products and cosmetics.
Product Name Glabridin
Part Used Root
Latin Name Glycyrrhiza uralensis Fisch
Extract Solvent Water&Ethanol
Appearance Light brown powder (White Powder for 90% 98%)
Assay(HPLC) ≥40% 90% 98%
Product Name Specification Color
Glabridin 98% HPLC White powder
90% HPLC White powder
40% HPLC White powder
40% HPLC Brown powder
as a natural whitening ingredient, the skin-whitening mechanism of Glabridin mainly includes:
(1) inhibiting tyrosinase activity;
(2) inhibiting the activity of dopachrome tautomerase (TRP-2)
(3) inhibiting the activity of DHICA oxidase;
(4) exerting the function of endothelin antagonist;
(5) increasing the total antioxidant capacity of the skin;
(6) effectively scavenging oxygen free radicals and its chain reaction. Moreover, through these synergistic effects, it effectively prevents the polymerization of 5,6-dihydroxyindole (DHI) and the production ofdopachrome. Thereby Glabridin can disturb and hinder the formation and transport of melanin; and then it inhibits and reduces pigmentation so as to achieve whitening skin effect.
Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial
the anti-inflammatory effect of Glabridin is related to its anti-oxidative activity of scavenging reactive oxygen. Glabridin can inhibit the production of NO in macrophages and the expression of inducible NO synthase. Then it can prevent the development of inflammation. Also Glabridin can inhibit the activity of staphylococcus aureus and candida albicans. It has a strong antibacterial effect, and can be used for the treatment of acne.